Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pests

It's always fun to show off what goes well in the garden--
like these edamame-- or what we think will go well like the amish paste tomatoes below:
But at this time of year, it seems only fair to talk about what isn't going well. And that has all to do with pests. I have just about given up on the squash and zucchini as most of the plants have been devastated by squash vine borers with a few other (potato?) bugs adding insult to injury. Early in the season I was able to squish most of the bugs by hand, but now there are too many and I can't get at the ones inside the stems (I think I'll try injecting Bt with a hypodermic needle next year).

Bean beetles attacked the edamame tho' they didn't get most of the crop. The most interesting pests this year, however, were these guys:
Longtime gardeners may recognize these as tobacco hornworms. If they weren't so devastating in how quickly they can strip a plant of its leaves, they'd be worth keeping around for pure entertainment value. I found their markings quite beautiful--even their strangely geometric poop (a bit like a bright green grenade) was interesting when fresh--until I saw how much of my already blight-stressed tomato plants they had eaten. The little buggers had even gnawed on a few tomatoes. Unforgiveable. These two were put out for birds to eat after I snapped a few more pix.
Every other week since then, I've found one or two on the tomatoes. Death has been swift but messy. Too big to squish without squeamishness, I have opted for a quick snip with the kitchen shears. Then, this lady showed up:
Well, I assume it's a she since it appears to be covered in eggs. I couldn't risk all those future tomato munchers being released into the world, so after their photo-op, everyone got dunked in the jar of alcohol normally reserved for ticks that hitch a ride on us or the dogs. (Note: I've just been informed that these were not hornworm eggs but rather the cocoons of a parasitic wasp. I should not have killed them--they're a beneficial. Next time I'll know to let the wasps develop so they can kill more hornworms).

Although this last pest has not really been an issue for us, I couldn't resist this perennial problem child when I saw it newly-emerged on Old Creaky:

3 comments:

  1. You make me feel so much better about our tomatoes, which have some kind of funk again this year. I wish you would get up here and do some of this vigorous posting on my blog (!)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, H2! You brought in a ringer for your blog so you don't really need me. That said, I've been thinking we need to collaborate on something--maybe a book. How's about Farm Your Way to a Fitter You!?! We could get Oprah and Obama (Mrs.) to promote it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspired idea, Alison. I'm getting ready to walk to the farmers market and lug home some bicep-building bags of good food.

    ReplyDelete